Southampton vs Aston Villa
English Premier League
Date: Saturday, 22 February 2020
Kick-off at 15:00 UK / 16:00 CET
Venue: St. Mary’s Stadium (Southampton).
With Aston Villa erratic in their outings this season, Southampton are in line to return to winning ways come Saturday.
The Saints were stunned by Burnley in their last clash here after the latter came out on top with a narrow 2-1 scoreline. The hosts have not picked up a single point in their past two games in a row and have just one win from their previous four as well.
Nevertheless, with thirty-one points in the bag, the home team are currently sitting twelfth on the ladder.
On the other hand, Aston Villa are hovering dangerously close to the relegation zone, and for good reason. The visitors have been recording back to back defeats in their past two fixtures, the most recent of which was at the hands of Tottenham by a 3-2 scorecard. That too, at home.
To make matters worse, the guests are yet to ensure any sort of consistency in their campaign. In fact, the visiting contingent have emerged victoriously just three times in their past ten clashes.
As such, a defeat this week could potentially send Aston Villa plummeting into the relegation zone, while a win for Southampton would see the Saints inch closer to the top ten.
Southampton vs Aston Villa Prediction
Aston Villa hit some good league form ahead of their winter break and if they can hit the ground running on their return, they can continue their recent good streak of results against the Saints.
Southampton vs Aston Villa TEAM NEWS
- Southampton fell behind to a wind-assisted goal and despite levelling against Burnley, they succumbed to defeat last weekend.
- Nathan Redmond was ruled out before the contest last week and he will be missing for at least a month due to a muscle injury.
- Sofiane Boufal was given a start in Redmond’s absence but he picked up a knock and looks set to be absent for this game.
Predicted line-up (4-4-2): McCarthy; Valery, Stephens, Vestergaard, Bertrand; Armstrong, Ward-Prowse, Hojbjerg, Djenepo; Ings, Long
Unavailable: Redmond (Injured), Walker-Peters (Injured)
Doubtful: Boufal (Injured)
- Aston Villa suffered late heartache in last week’s game against Tottenham as they conceded an injury-time goal that cost them a point.
- Villa have now suffered successive losses in the Premier League and will be eager to return to winning ways on this trip to Southampton.
- Tyrone Mings came down with tonsillitis before last week’s contest but he is expected to return in place of Bjorn Engels for this game.
Predicted line-up (3-4-3): Reina; Konsa, Mings, Hause; Guilbert, Drinkwater, Douglas Luiz, Targett; El Ghazi, Samatta, Grealish
Unavailable: Wesley (Injured), Heaton (Injured), Steer (Injured), McGinn (Injured), Davis (Injured)